The State Bank office, constructed between 1929 and 1930, features Eastern art and includes many motifs reflecting European, Cham and Khmer styles (Photo: tuoitre.vn)

HCM City (VNA) – A branch of the State Bank of Vietnam in Ho Chi Minh City, built some 85 years ago, will be recognised as a national relic under a proposal submitted to the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism’s Department of Cultural Heritage by the municipal Department of Culture and Sports.

The State Bank office, constructed between 1929 and 1930, features Eastern art and includes many motifs reflecting European, Cham and Khmer styles.

Initially called the Indochinese Bank Branch in Saigon from 1930 to 1957, it was the office of the National Bank of Vietnam until 1975. It then became the State Bank of Vietnam’s HCM City branch in July 1976.

Documents for official relic status have been completed and will be sent to the Department of Cultural Heritage, according to Truong Kim Quan, Director of the city’s Monuments Conservation Centre.

The building on Vo Van Kiet Street in District 1 includes antique tables, chairs, sofas and lamps, and has dozens of windows. The furniture and structure are in good shape, but officials want to place them under special protection.

Last year, the centre named five buildings and national relics, including Binh Tay Market, Davis Camp, Phap Hoa Pagoda, and two communal houses in Tan Son Nhi and Tan Thong villages.

Binh Tay Market, located in District 6’s Thap Muoi Street, was built and financially supported by a Chinese businessman.

The Davis Camp, situated in Tan Binh district, was home to a US Air Force unit during the war in Vietnam. It was named after the first soldier who died in battle in southern Vietnam, James Thomas Davis.

Phap Hoa Pagoda in Phu Nhuan district is considered a historical site since it houses a secret bunker built in 1945 to hide Vietnamese soldiers during the war and a portrait of late President Ho Chi Minh.

The communal house in Tan Thong village was built in the 19 th century in Cu Chi district’s Tan Thong Hoi commune, a venue associated with many local revolutionary movements during the American War.

Meanwhile, the other in Tan Son Nhi village is one of several structures built in the style of the southern region, with a three-door gate, stele and adytum.-VNA