Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 11:16:01

French building to be moved for Kinh Thien Palace restoration

VNA Print

​Kinh Thien Palace is now left with a staircase bordered by two stone dragons. (Photo: VNA)

Hanoi (VNA) – The Prime Minister has approved the moving of the two-storey building of the Department of Operations to a new location for the restoration of Kinh Thien Palace of Thang Long Citadel Complex in Hanoi.

The French-built building where the Department of Operations was located during wartime blocks the front view of Kinh Thien Palace and disrupts the direct link between the palace and Doan Mon (South Gate) of the citadel.

According to Dai Viet Su Ky Toan Thu (Complete Annals of Dai Viet), construction of the palace began in 1428 under the reign of King Le Thai To and was completed under King Le Thanh Tong.

The palace is among the most important buildings in the citadel complex which was often used for royal meetings during the Ly (1009-1225), Tran (1226-1400), Le (1428-1789) and Nguyen (1802-1945) dynasties.

Kinh Thien Palace was constructed during Le Dynasty. (Photo: VNA)

Most of it was destroyed by French in 1886. They left behind only the floor and a staircase bordered by two stone dragons.

From October 10, 1954, when anti-French resistance troops took over the city, the site served as an office for the Ministry of Defence.

The project aims to partly recreate the royal space in front of Kinh Thien Palace for big cultural and political events.

It will be implemented by the Thang Long-Hanoi Heritage Preservation Centre between now and 2017 at an estimated cost of more than 14.9 billion VND (over 670,000 USD).-VNA
Your comments about this article ...
Others