Phu Van Lau (Pavilion of Edicts) after its restoration.(Photo: tuoitre.vn)

Thua Thien - Hue (VNA) - The Hue Monuments Conservation Centre has finished the restoration of Phu Van Lau, or Pavilion of Edicts, located within the Hue Imperial Citadel, which has been a UNESCO Word Cultural Heritage site since 1993.

The construction, valued at almost 12 billion VND (558,139 USD) and begun on May 13, 2015, renovated the entire ancient site, including its wooden frame, roof and some carved sections.

Phu Van Lau, a two-storey wooden building built in 1818 during the reign of King Gia Long, was originally a site used to store royal edicts and post examination results. It was also where feasts and entertainment for royal families took place during festivals.

Located on the main axis of the Imperial Citadel of Hue facing the Huong River, the building has become a favourite destination for visitors when exploring the ancient capital, and also the location for many community activities during national festivals or celebrations of significant historical events.

On May 15 last year, part of the building’s roof fell in and had been temporarily propped up by scaffolding, posing a threat to visitors.-VNA