Monday, August 21, 2017 - 21:00:20

Hunt for MH370 suspended

VNA Print

Several pieces of debris said to belong to MH370 were found in Reunion and Marititus, South Africa and Mozambique. (Source: internet)

 

Kuala Lumpur (VNA) – Malaysia, Australia and China announced the suspension of the hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines MH370 on July 22 after unsatisfactory searches in the designated areas.

Speaking at a press conference in Malaysia, the transport ministers of the three countries acknowledged that despite the best efforts of concerned parties, hope of finding the ill-fated plane is fading.

The disappearance of MH370 is one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history. It vanished with 239 people on board en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing in March 2014. 

The plane is believed to have changed its direction and went down somewhere in the northern Indian Ocean. Australia coordinated a search campaign to comb an area of 120,00 sq.km in the ocen.

So far, 105,000 sq.km of the Northern Indian Ocean have been scanned but no optimistic result has been revealed.

Several pieces of debris said to belong to the plane were found in Reunion and Marititus, South Africa and Mozambique. 

In 2015, authorities of the three countries agreed not to expand the search area in the northern Indian Ocean as no further trace has been found.-VNA

 

Your comments about this article ...
Others