Illustrative image (Source: thestar.com.my)

Kuala Lumpur (VNA) – Malaysian police confirmed on July 4 that the self-proclaimed Islamic State Group was involved in a hand grenade attack on a restaurant earlier last week.

The explosion took place at Modiva restaurant in Puchong city, Selangor state, on June 28, while customers were watching a live screening of the Euro football tournament. At least eight people were injured.

National police chief Khalid Abu Bakar said 15 suspects have been arrested since the attack, of whom two admitted receiving instructions from IS fighter Muhammad Wanndy Mohamed Jedi.

Muhammad Wanndy also commanded them to carry out attacks in Malaysia targeting senior government officials, police officers and judges, Khalid said.

Previously, local police had said the incident was related to criminal rings and was not a terrorist attack.-VNA