Vo Kim Cu was dismissed from his post as member of the provincial Party Committee in two tenures of 2005-2010 and 2010-2015 (Photo: VNA)
Hanoi (VNA) – The Party Central Committee’s Secretariat met under the chair of General Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong on April 18 and 21 to consider disciplinary measures against certain Party organisations and Party members at the proposal of the Central Inspection Commission.
The Secretariat reached the conclusion on the wrongdoings and law violations related to the environmental incident in the central region of the Party Affairs Section of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MoNRE) and several officials under the management of the Party Central Committee Secretariat as follows:
- The MoNRE’s Party Affairs Section of the 2011-2016 tenure showed a lack of responsibility and lax leadership of inspection and supervision work, resulting in the ministry and some individuals violating State regulations on environmental protection and water resources management involving Formosa Ha Tinh steel-making project, thus causing serious environment consequences, affecting political security and social order and safety.
- Nguyen Minh Quang, former Party Central Committee member, former Secretary of the MoNRE’s Party Affairs Section, and former Minister of Natural Resources and Environment, must bear responsibility as the top leader for violations committed by the MoNRE Party Affairs Section (2011-2016 tenure).
- Bui Cach Tuyen, former member of the MoNRE’s Party Affairs Section, former Deputy Minister of the MoNRE and former head of the Environment Administration was also responsible for the violations and mistakes committed by the MoNRE’s Party Affairs Section in 2011-2016 tenure. He was irresponsible when approving environment impact assessment reports and ignored warnings about impacts on the environment. Tuyen also showed a lax leadership over the supervision and inspection of Formosa’s construction of environment facilities.
- Nguyen Thai Lai, former member of the MoNRE’s Party Affairs Section and former Deputy Minister of the MoNRE was also responsible for the violations and mistakes committed by the MoNRE’s Party Affairs Section in 2011-2016 tenure. He showed irresponsibility in verifying and approving licences for Formosa’s wastewater discharge offshore against the rule.
- Vo Kim Cu, Secretary of the Party Delegation and President of the Vietnam Cooperatives Alliance, who used to be Secretary of the Party Committee of Ha Tinh province, Secretary of the Party Affairs Section and Chairman of the provincial People’s Committee, bore the main responsibility for violations and mistakes committed by the provincial Party Affairs Section and the provincial People’s Committee in the 2008-2016 period and by the provincial economic zone management board in 2008-2010. Cu himself signed many documents in violation of regulations, such as granting investment certificate; allowing the lease of sea surface; allowing Formosa to conduct land clearance to build wastewater pipelines against the rules, while failing to keep close supervision and inspection of the implementation of the project.
The Secretariat voted in unanimity on disciplinary measures towards those officials, including giving a warning to the MoNRE’s Party Affairs Section of 2011-2016 tenure, and to Nguyen Minh Quang.
Bui Cach Tuyen and Nguyen Thai Lai were dismissed from their post as members of the MoNRE’s Party Affairs Section of 2011-2016 tenure.
Vo Kim Cu was dismissed from his post as member of the provincial Party Committee in two tenures of 2005-2010 and 2010-2015, (which also included dismissing him from the posts of Secretary of the Party Affairs Section of the provincial People’s Committee, Vice Secretary of the provincial Party Committee and Secretary of the provincial Party Committee in line with Party regulations).
At the same time, the Party Central Committee’s Secretariat required the Party Affairs Board of the Government to instruct the imposition of administrative punishment on the MoNRE and the above mentioned officials.-VNA