Attacker Jessie Carlos Javier (Photo: Philippine Daily Inquirer)
 

Hanoi (VNA) – Police in the Philippines on June 4 said they have identified the man who attacked a casino in the capital of Manila and affirmed that he was not a terrorist.  

The suspect was a Filipino citizen named Jessie Carlos Javier, 42, who was heavily indebted due to a gambling addiction, said Chief of Manila police Oscar Albayalde at a press conference.

The police chief confirmed that the attack was not an act of terrorism, adding that it was a robbery attempt.

Albayalde also stressed that no individuals or groups could use this incident to advance their propaganda, referring to the Islamic State (IS) which claimed responsibility for the attack.

Previously, on June 2, the gunman set fire to the Resorts World Manila, killing 37 people and injuring dozens. He later set himself on fire, killing himself.

The incident occurred in the context of the Philippines dealing with escalating unrest in southern Mindanao island, where government forces are battling an IS-linked militant group.-VNA