Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 3:48:52

Philippines: Satisfaction with Duterte’s drug war declines

VNA Print

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte (Photo: EPA/VNA)
  
Hanoi (VNA) – Approval for the fight against drugs of Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte declined in the first quarter of 2017, according to a survey released by Social Weather Stations on April 19.

About 78 percent of 1,200 interviewees said they supported the drug crackdown of Philippine administration, down from 85 percent in a similar survey in December 2016.

The number of dissatisfied respondents rose from eight percent to 12 percent.

For thousands of people killed during the drug combat, 92 percent said the importance is that authorities capture drug suspects alive rather than kill them.

The result of the survey which was conducted from March 25 – 28 shows consistency of public in the way they appraise efforts of the government in the drug crackdown, said Presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella.

Some 9,000 people have been killed in the drug combat launched since President Duterte took office in June last year. Recently, President Duterte has directed military to participate in the campaign and will hand over authority to military to arrest police related to drugs.-VNA
Your comments about this article ...
Others