Foreign Ministry Spokesman Le Hai Binh (Photo: VNA)

Vietnam has absolute sovereignty over the border area of Dak Dam in the Central Highlands province of Dak Nong, which is contiguous with the Cambodian province of Mondulkiri, Foreign Ministry Spokesman Le Hai Binh said.

He made the remark on November 2 in response to reporters’ question about recent news posted on Cambodia’s online newspaper vodhotnews.com.

The website has reported that Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen said in Paris that Vietnam, through unofficial channels, agreed to share a land area between Dak Nong and Mondulkiri. Accordingly, Vietnam would have 60 percent of the Dak Dam – Dak Huyt border region and the remaining 40 percent would belong to Cambodia.

Vietnam is verifying the abovementioned information, Binh said.

The country has sufficient legal and historical grounds and management in reality to assert its absolute sovereignty over the border area of Dak Dam in Dak Nong province, he stressed.-VNA