US Ambassador Ted Osius (fourth, left) and other participants cut the ribbon to unveil the restored building (Photo: VNA)

Thua Thien-Hue (VNA) – The restored and preserved front building of Trieu To Mieu (Trieu To Temple), part of the ancient Hue Imperial City in Thua Thien-Hue central province, was unveiled on April 29.

The restoration and preservation project was sponsored with 700,000 USD by the US Ambassador's Fund for Cultural Preservation via the US Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City.

It was carried out from February 2015 to April 2016 with the participation of experienced and skillful artisans.

The Hue Monuments Conservation Centre and the Vietnam Institute for Building Science and Technology’s affiliate in the central region strived to shorten the restoration time in the severe weather of Hue without reducing the quality of the restored construction.

This is the second project financed by the Fund for Cultural Preservation. The first one, which preserves the royal altars at Trieu To Temple, was done in 2015.

Trieu To Mieu is one of the five most important temples of the Nguyen Dynasty (1802 – 1945). It embodies many cultural and historical significances of the Complex of Hue Monuments – the Cultural Heritage of the World.

It was constructed in 1804 to worship Nguyen Kim and his wife, the ancestors of the nine Nguyen Lords. After over 200 years, the temple was severely degraded by the harsh weather and war, prompting the need for rehabilitation.-VNA