At the scene of the incident (Photo: Xinhua/VNA)

Hanoi (VNA) – The Cambodian Government has formed a committee to inspect the quality of all buildings that are under construction in Preah Sihanouk province after a seven-storey building collapsed on June 22, killing at least 25 workers.

The decision to set up the committee was signed Prime Minister Samdech Techo Hun Sen on late June 23.

The committee, led by Secretary of State for Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction Tip Seiha, groups members from the council of ministers, interior ministry, environment ministry, national police, tourism ministry, and Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities.

It has duties to inspect technical standard, construction licenses, construction standard, safety standard, and quality of buildings at construction sites in Preah Sihanouk province, the decision said.

It also instructed the committee to evaluate the qualifications of construction companies and to update the already-constructed buildings.

The move came after a seven-storey building that was under-construction in Sihanoukville city collapsed early on June 22, killing at least 25 workers and injuring 24 others.

All of the victims were Cambodian workers, the provincial authorities said in a statement, adding that the rescue operation is still going on to search for more victims.

Earlier, the spokesperson of the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction of Cambodia said that the building’s construction is illegal, adding that local authorities have warned the Chinese contractor twice, but they kept neglecting.

Investigation on the most deadly building collapse is underway. The police have so far arrested four suspects, including the Chinese owner of the building, the director of a construction firm, head of the contractor and a Cambodian land owner.-VNA