HCM City to reduce customs’ paperwork time by half hinh anh 1The Customs Branch at Area No. 1, Cat Lai Port uses automatic procedures to process customs clearance documents (Photo sggp.org.vn)
HCM City (VNA) - Customs Department of HCM City has said it would cut by half the amount of processing time to complete customs documents for import and export businesses.

Dinh Ngoc Thang, deputy head of the department, said the number of customs declaration documents at the city’s customs offices accounted for 40 percent of the country’s total.

The city has about 140,000 enterprises. The city’s budget revenue represents 45 percent of the country’s budget, so the development of enterprises in the city plays an important role in national economic development, Thang said.

He said the time to complete customs declarations had been reduced, accounting now for about 28 percent of customs clearance time, while other customs formalities take up the remaining 72 percent.

Processing does not exceed more than one workday.  

The Customs Department has also opened a checking station at a customs branch at Saigon Port Area No 1 (at Cat Lai Port) and a checking station at a customs branch as well as an emergency-express customs branch at Tan Son Nhat International Airport.

The two checking stations will work with eight specialised agencies to manage and check goods, and help businesses complete customs formalities more quickly.

The stations and eight agencies also plan to improve information services such as the monitoring and reporting of checked goods. 

The Customs Department said that businesses, specialised agencies and customs offices would regularly exchange information about checked batches of goods.-VNA