The last victim buried under the building collapse at No.43 Cua Bac street in Ba Dinh district of Hanoi was taken out at around 11:30 am on August 4. (Photo: VNA)

Hano​i (VNA) – The last victim buried under the building collapse at No.43 Cua Bac street in Ba Dinh district of Hanoi was taken out at around 11:30 am on August 4.

The female victim, whose name remains unknown, had already died as the rescue team approached her, said Colonel To Manh Thang, chief of rescue division at the Hanoi Department of Fire Prevention and Fighting.

According to Thang, seven of the trapped victims were brought to safety, but two had died, including Nguyen Van Thanh, a male resident of the house.

Initial reports by the Truc Bach Ward Police in Ba Dinh district said the four-storey building, which housed the Nem Xuan Dan Restaurant, collapsed at about 3:30 am while its residents inside were all sleeping.

The structure reportedly collapsed because it was very old and had a poorly constructed foundation.

A neighbour, Nguyen Thi Van, living next door, was re-building her old house and dug up its foundation, possibly affecting the stability of the building.

In the wake of the collapse, Chairman of the Hanoi People’s Committee Nguyen Duc Chung has asked for an inspection of old houses located near the building No.43 to help residents avoid any danger.-VNA