Two steles on the Truong Sa (Spratly) Archipelago declaring Vietnam’s sovereignty over the archipelago have been recognised as national relic sites.

Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism Hoang Tuan Anh presented the relic certificate to authorities of the central coastal province of Khanh Hoa at a ceremony on July 17 in Nha Trang city.

One of the steles is situated on Song Tu Tay island while the other is in Nam Yet island, both are in the Truong Sa island district of Khanh Hoa province.

Erected in 1956, the steles were inscribed with words that claim Truong Sa Archipelago belongs to Phuoc Tuy province as well as highlight the visit by a military mission to the archipelago on August 22, 1956 with the guidance of the Vietnam Navy.

A memorial site of the ship coded C235 which transported weapons from the north to the southern battlefield during the US war, in Ninh Van commune, Ninh Hoa town, also received the title on the occasion. When the ship was discovered by the enemy offshore Ninh Van on a day in 1968, all sailors on the ship fought to the last person.-VNA