US, Cuba satisfied with 2nd round of diplomatic talks

The US and Cuba were satisfied with the results of the second round of talks aiming at restoring their diplomatic ties in Washington DC on February 27.
The US and Cuba were satisfied with the results of the second round of talks aiming at restoring their diplomatic ties in Washington DC on February 27.

During the 6-hour talks round, the two sides focused on dealing with major obstacles in re-establishing their full bilateral relations, including opening embassies and Cuba’s request for being removed from the so-called blacklist of state sponsors of terrorism.

Speaking at a press conference after the talks, US Assistant Secretary for Western Hemisphere Roberta Jacobson, who led the US delegation, described the negotiations as "productive" and "encouraging".

The two sides had a straight talks about a wide range of issues such as human right, banking activities, expansion of travelling right of diplomats, Roberta said, adding that they reached agreement on a number of issues.

Josefina Vidal, head of Cuban Foreign Ministry's US division, who led the Cuban delegation, also told reporters that progress has been made in the talks despite remaining differences. She renewed the call for Cuba to be removed from the US blacklist.

She said the two sides agreed to start a series of lower-level meetings in the coming time.

In the upcoming days, US and Cuban officials will continue their discussion on regulations of civil aviation management, which was said to strongly develop after the bilateral ties is officially normalised.

Talks rounds on restoring relations between the US and Cuba were held after US President Barack Obama and his Cuban counterpart Raul Castro declared their plan to restore the diplomatic ties between the two countries in December last year.-VNA

See more