Vietnam beat Thailand, take third place in M-150 Cup hinh anh 1U23 Vietnam won third place in the M-15 Cup after beating host Thailand 2-1 on December 15 (Photo:

Hanoi (VNA) – U23 Vietnam won third place in the M-150 Cup after beating host Thailand 2-1 on December 15 in Buriam, Thailand.

The result provides a measure of revenge after the Vietnamese lost 3-0 to their arch rivals four months ago at the Southeast Asian Games in Malaysia.

The opening goal came just seven minutes into the game with striker Nguyen Cong Phuong finding space in the box between two Thai defenders to head captain Luong Xuan Truong’s cross past goalkeeper Nont Muangngam.

Fifteen minutes later Phuong doubled the advantage, again finding space in the box before lashing home Nguyen Quang Hai’s diagonal with his right foot, having beaten the Thai offside trap.

The hosts then wasted a golden opportunity to score in the 38th minute. After Dinh Trong fouled Sarachat in the box, presenting Thailand with a penalty.

However Vietnamese goalkeeper Tien Dung saved Sombatyotha’s poor spot-kick.

The second half saw Thailand take the game to Vietnam, putting the visitors under intense pressure.

Just two minutes after the interval, Supachok Sarachat pulled one back for Thailand after some lackluster defending from Doan Van Hau and A Hoang.

For the rest of the match, both sides created opportunities, but converted none.

Speaking after the same in his role as a commentator, former national head coach Mai Duc Chung said the players had made mistakes but it was acceptable because they were young.

“A personal mistake allowed Thailand’s goal. But we should not blame them. They lack of experience, which can only be gathered in game after game over several years,” he said.

“In this tournament, Vietnam has played three matches which will be very useful for them ahead of the Asian U23 Championship next year in China. Coach Park Hang-seo will have time to fix the team’s problems,” Chung said.

In the final match later, Uzbekistan won the M-150 cup, edging Japan 4-3 in a penalty shoot out after play during regular time ended at 2-2.-VNA