The Vietnamese could not be happier with their win during the first match at the 27th Southeast Asian Games' football match.

Le Van Thang scored a double, while five other players found their goals during the 7-0 victory over Brunei on December 8 in Nay Pyi Taw.

Spending the first 20 minutes carefully watching Brunei, the Vietnamese, who are not seeded this year, found their opening goal at the 21st by Vu Minh Tuan.

The Quang Ninh province-born player scored an exact shootout outside the box when the ball bounced to him after Brunei's Ali Rahman made an unsuccessful kick.

Three minutes later, it was 2-0 when Ha Minh Tuan made a straight shot in the penalty area, which went through two defenders to enter the net.

Two goals strongly encouraged the team, partly making their rivals confused as they gave up their attacking style to try to play in defence.

Thang, who took part in his second match at the Games, kicked his first goal at the 44th minute after a series of chances missed earlier in the first half.

Thang escaped from Brunei's blockage before his close-ranged netting.

His double was then completed when he converted captain Nguyen Van Quyet's left wing pass to the fourth goal for Vietnam, seven minutes after the break.

Brunei tried to find a solution to resist Vietnam's consecutive attacks, but suffered the fifth goal at the 65th by Tran Manh Dung.

Dung was later replaced by Tran Phi Son, who quickly showed off his power with his banana-shaped shoot, which was nearly 25m to the goal mouth.

He competed a big win for Vietnam, with about eight minutes left in the match.

Earlier, substitute Mac Hong Quan, the overseas Vietnamese who is playing for V-League's Thanh Hoa, marked his name in the score list with a kick hitting the net at the 68th.

It was the second win in a row for Vietnam over Brunei in two SEA Games matches.

Two years ago in Indonesia, Vietnam won 8-0 in a group round match.

"We are pleased with the result and the playing style of the players. It is a good start for Vietnam and we hope we will maintain this spirit through the next matches," said coach Hoang Van Phuc.

"The next rivals are much stronger, compared to Brunei, so our players are more focused and try harder.

"We will have to plan for every match with a view to win a semi-final ticket, before thinking about the next stage," Phuc said.

Further, the coach said he was happy because six players, both strikers and midfielders on his team, scored during this game, although he confirmed that the first victory had not said much about the future, because the route ahead remains long.

Also, coach Kwon Oh Soon of Brunei, who has only taken charge of the team recently, was impressed with Vietnam.

He said his team studied Vietnam through videos, but how the Vietnamese team played during the match surprised his team. And playing without key players and without careful preparation were the main reasons leading to their defeat, said the coach.

With the win, Vietnam topped Group A with three points.

Their next match is tomorrow against Singapore who were tied 1-1 by Laos in the later match on December 8.

In group B matches on December 7, Thailand dominated East Timor 3-1 and host Myanmar won 3-0 over Cambodia.-VNA