Filipinos supporters of Rodrigo Duterte in Manila. (Photo: AFP/VNA)

Hanoi (VNA) – Filipinos police said seven people were shot dead and one injured when a convoy of vehicles was ambushed on May 9 just a few hours before polls opened for the Philippines’ national election.

Chief Inspector Jonathan del Rosario, spokesman of a special election violence monitoring task force, said unknown gunmen opened fire on a jeep and two motorcycles in the province of Cavite’s Rosario town, which lies to the south of the capital Manila.

Motives behind the attack have yet to be identified.

The official described Cavite as a political hot spot due to heated rivalries.

According to police, 15 people were killed in election-related incidents so far this year.

On May 9, Filipinos voters are set to cast their ballots to elect a new President, Vice President, 300 parliamentarians and 18,000 local positions.

Polling stations nationwide are scheduled to close at 5:00 pm the same day.-VNA