A Government leader has asked the mechanical engineering sector to restructure itself in a strong manner to enable it to partake in the international mechanical engineering chain.

Deputy Prime Minister Hoang Trung Hai described the task as an important one while addressing a symposium discussing the mechanical engineering sector’s capacity of fabricating supporting devices for the energy industry in Hanoi on December 14.

The symposium was co-organised by the Ministry of Industry and Trade and the Alstom group of Switzerland.

The Deputy PM, who is also Chief of the Steering Board for Key Mechanical Engineering Programme, pointed out that a very poor collaboration among mechanical engineering enterprises is a reason behind the underdevelopment of the present sector.

He also underlined the fact that Vietnamese mechanical engineering businesses fall short in researching, manufacturing and designing their own products.

Accordingly, the sector is now capable of meeting only 38 percent of local demands for mechanical equipment and leaves the remaining 62 percent for foreign producers.

The Government leader believed that the symposium is the first step to help bring together the Ministry of Industry and Trade, engineering firms and their associates to re-examine their infrastructure in order to provide optimal service for the Alstom group.

The Deputy PM affirmed that he is willing to speak directly with businesses and their associations to deal with difficulties that may arise to promote the development and international integration of the nation’s mechanical engineering industry.

At the symposium, Alstom Group’s Asian Director Laurent Fortier-Beaulieu said his group is eager to cooperate with Vietnamese mechanical engineering businesses in producing equipment and providing labourers and maintenance services at competitive prices for hydro-electric, wind-generated, and thermo-electric power plants with a capacity of up to 600 MW, a relationship already established in countries including Indonesia, Australia and Malaysia.

Regarding Vietnam as its top priority in the region, Alstom stated his commitment to providing technologies and management experiences for Vietnamese partners that are qualified for establishing a long-term partnership with the group./.