Part of the Ho dynasty citadel (Photo: VNA)

Thanh Hoa (VNA) – An exhibition on archeological excavations at the Ho Dynasty Citadel in the past five years opened in the central province of Thanh Hoa on December 15.

The Ho Citadel Heritage Conservation Centre organised the event to celebrate the fifth anniversary of the relic site as a global heritage. As part of the celebration, the centre also allows free entrance for all visitors on December 15 and 16.

The Ho Dynasty Citadel was Vietnam’s capital under the Ho Dynasty (1398-1407). Located in Vinh Loc district, the citadel measures 870m by 883m and was built in 1397. It is the only citadel in the country built entirely of stones and remained nearly intact throughout the nation’s history.     

It was recognised as a World Cultural Heritage Site by UNESCO on July 27, 2011. According to experts, the structure is an outstanding example of a new style of construction for a Southeast Asian imperial city.

The exhibition featured outcomes of excavations at the Nam Giao worship area, central palace, the canal system and entrances, among other places.   

Most notably, four excavations at the Nam Giao worship area, which spans 18,000 square metres, have shown foundations of various structures and found myriad artifacts.

Meanwhile, in 2015, the Ho Citadel Heritage Conservation Centre excavated part of the southern canal over an area of over 2,000 square metres and clarified the scale, structure and functions of the defending canal. In addition to defence purpose, the canal provided a workshop producing stones used in the construction of the citadel.   

Another excavation in the southern gate unearthed a bluestone road connecting the entrance with the Nam Giao worship area. The inner road was considered the most intact among roads from the feudal period found in Vietnam.-VNA