Creating alliance – key to promoting tourism amidst COVID-19

Creating an alliance between localities and travel firms is considered a key to promoting tourism amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, according to insiders.
Creating alliance – key to promoting tourism amidst COVID-19 ảnh 1Vietnam tourism stimulus alliance debuts (Photo: VietnamPlus)

Hanoi (VNA) –
Creating an alliance between localities and travel firms is considered a key to promoting tourism amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, according to insiders.

The launch of a tourism stimulus alliance by the Vietnam Tourism Association in Hanoi on February 21 is expected to rejuvenate the local tourism industry which has been strongly affected by the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2.

Engaging in the stimulus are the national flag carrier Vietnam Airlines, private budget airline Bamboo Airways, travel companies Hanoitourist, Saigontourist, Vietravel, Vietnam Travelmart, Hanoi Redtours, and Viettrantour, as well as hotels, transportation firms, and restaurants.

Speaking at the launching ceremony, Vice Chairman of the association Vu The Binh said the COVID-19 outbreak has seriously influenced socio-economic development, including tourism. 

The Government has high expectations for this sector as it has recorded growth for three consecutive years but is currently stagnant due to the epidemic, Binh said.

In a recent meeting, the Government also pledged to create the most favourable conditions for the sector to recover as soon as possible, he noted.

The association doesn’t restrict the number of businesses taking part in the alliance. Each member must provide safe services, offer attractive and suitable packages for different groups of travellers, and set competitive prices, according to Binh.

He said this time’s stimulus programme will be carried out nationwide. However, in the first phase lasting through June, it will focus on Binh Dinh, Phu Yen, Gia Lai and Dak Lak, which are south-central and Central Highlands provinces completely safe for tourists. After that, it could be extended through the end of this year or to next year according to localities and businesses’ wish.

The basic tours, four days and three nights, are Phu Yen – Binh Dinh, Dak Lak – Gia Lai and Phu Yen – Gia Lai with prices discounted by 40 percent compared to normal programmes. Basing on these tours, travel companies will design more products, he added.

Creating alliance – key to promoting tourism amidst COVID-19 ảnh 2Vietnam’s tallest Buddha statue in central Binh Dinh province (Photo: VNA)

He said although COVID-19 first appeared in Vietnam less than two months ago, the local tourism industry has suffered heavy losses. Foreign arrivals in February and March may decline by over 60 percent, and the number of domestic visitors may nosedive by up to 80 percent.

This time’s programme is expected to help stimulate tourists’ demand and encourage them to visit disease-free localities, he added.

2019 was considered a successful year for Vietnam tourism that welcomed 18 million international tourist arrivals, up 16 percent compared to 2018. The country greeted 85 million domestic holidaymakers in the year, a year-on-year rise of 6 percent. Total revenue from tourism hit 30 billion USD and average annual growth over three consecutive years reached 22 percent.

In the year, Vietnam won multiple prestigious titles including top World Heritage destination and Best Golf destination. The country was named as the leading Best Asian destination for two consecutive years alongside with awards from international organisations for airlines, travel agencies, hotels and many other tourism hotspots.

Vietnam’s tourism competitiveness has continuously improved, standing 63th among the 140 economies in the World Economic Forum ranking. In the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), Vietnam surpassed Indonesia to rank fourth among the countries with the highest number of international arrivals.

In 2020, the country set a target of welcoming approximately 20.5 million international tourists, and 90 million domestic ones. The tourism sector aims to gross over 830 trillion VND (35.9 billion USD) in revenue. However, these goals are unlikely to come within reach this year due to the impact of COVID-19 which has led to the application of strict travelling restrictions, including the suspension of domestic and international flights./.


See more