A variety of artifacts have been discovered in the recent excavation of the ​Nguyen Lords' chief town (Illustrative image. Source: toquoc.vn)

Quang Tri (VNA) - The Centre of Heritage Preservation and the museum of the central province of Quang Tri has recently announced in a press conference the results of excavations in the Nguyen Lords’ chief town.

The excavation has unearthed a variety of artifacts, mainly bricks, tiles, terracotta and porcelain items that can be dated back to between the 15th and 19th centuries. Many of the antiques discovered were sophisticated and used by the noble classes.

Conducted at an 113sq.m field in Tra Lien Tay hamlet, Trieu Giang commune in Trieu Phong district from July 20 to August 2, the excavation is significant in the province’s research of historical and scientific facts contributing to knowledge about the Nguyen Lords (1558-1626) within the district.

The archaeologists agreed that the results prove that the Nguyen Lords’ chief town was comprised of many brick-tiled buildings and surrounded by the citadel.

“To clarify the scale and structure of the citadel further research is required and authorities would have to approve the investment for creating the scientific and legal foundations of a project to preserve the relics found,” said Associate Professor Do Bang at the press conference.

According to historical documents, the imprint of Nguyen Hoang (1525–1613), the first of the Nguyen Lords, could be found in Quang Tri province. Opposing his administration of the newer provinces, he chose Ai Tu, currently Trieu Phong district, as his first chief town. In 1570, he moved his palace to Tra Bat village, and then to Dinh Cat, which was considered as one of 12 palaces in southern Vietnam, in 1600.-VNA