Cambodian Deputy PM accuses CNRP of coup attempt

Cambodian Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Sar Kheng on January 31 accused the opposition Cambodian National Rescue Party (CNRP) of trying to launch an constitutional coup d’etat against the government of Prime Minister Hun Sen.
Cambodian Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Sar Kheng onJanuary 31 accused the opposition Cambodian National Rescue Party (CNRP)of trying to launch an constitutional coup d’etat against thegovernment of Prime Minister Hun Sen.

In a meetingwith the Japanese Ambassador to Cambodia , Yuji Kumamaru, in PhnomPenh , Sar Kheng said the opposition was trying to oust the governmentby refusing to accept the disputed result of the July 2013 nationalelection, and by calling for a new vote.

CNRP’s moves amount to a constitutional coup plot aiming to topple the current legal government, he said.

Kheng added that post-election developments proved that while theruling Cambodia People’s Party (CPP) is ready for negotiations with theCNRP at all levels at any time, the opposition’s leaders are yet to showtheir real will to solve the political disputes.

Meanwhile, another CPP official, lawmaker Cheam Yeap, also held thatCNRP is trying to overthrow PM Hun Sen’s government through a civilcoup. CNRP leader Sam Rainsy’s activities abroad, in which he called onpartners to stop trade contracts with the country, violated theCambodian constitution, he said.

To date,negotiations between the CPP and the CNRP have collapsed without anysign of restoration. The CNRP still refuses the election results and isboycotting the new parliament and demanding a new election, while theruling party has appealed for further talks.

Cambodia is facing a political crisis stemming from the July 2013election in which the CPP won 68 parliament seats and the CNRP received55. The opposition has claimed the poll was rigged.

Earlier on January 31, Cambodian Deputy Prime Minister and ForeignMinister Hor Namhong told visiting British Minister of State at theForeign and Commonwealth Office Hugo Swire that the CNRP should joinparliament if it really wants to debate on electoral reform or are-election.

According to the nation's constitution,the National Assembly cannot be dissolved before a five-year term ends,Namhong stated, adding that the opposition's demands for a re-electionor an early election would require an amendment to the constitution.

He said the CPP is still open for negotiations with the opposition on the dispute.

For his part, Swire said that it was essential for the two parties tomeet and negotiate for a peaceful solution to their differences.-VNA

See more

Two foreign tourists buy curry puffs at the popular Khun Phu shop in the Talat Noi community in Bangkok on Monday. (Photo: bangkokpost.com)

Thailand revises tourism strategy after earthquake

Minister of Tourism and Sports Sorawong Thienthong said that a tourism risk and crisis management team will be established to support the industry, with representatives from organisations in the tourism supply chain, such as the Ministry of Home Affairs and the Roads Authority.

General Khamtay Siphandone, former President of the Lao People’s Revolutionary Party (LPRP) Central Committee, former President of Laos and senior revolutionary of the LPRP. (Source: VNA)

Former Lao President Khamtay Siphanone passes away

General Khamtay Siphandone, former President of the Lao People’s Revolutionary Party (LPRP) Central Committee, former President of Laos and senior revolutionary of the LPRP, passed away at 10:30am on April 2 at the age of 102.

Rescue teams search for victims after the earthquake in Mandalay, Myanmar, on March 31, 2025. (Photo: Xinhua/VNA)

Myanmar earthquake: Relief efforts face major challenges

The 7.7-magnitude earthquake has caused widespread destruction in central Myanmar, displacing tens of thousands. The situation has been further complicated by ongoing conflicts, particularly in the Sagaing region, making it extremely difficult to deliver aid to affected areas.

At the explosion site (Photo: Facebook/Anwar Ibrahim)

Malaysia investigates gas pipeline explosion

The incident destroyed 78 houses and 10 shop lots, while also damaging 237 other houses and numerous vehicles. An estimated 364 people were affected, including 63 injured.

Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra listens to a briefing by a team of Israeli rescuers who are part of an international contingent working at the collapsed building site in Bangkok. (Photo: Bangkok Post)

Thailand works to restore global trust after Myanmar quake

Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra underscored Thailand's commitment to restoring its image and ensuring public confidence, noting that a thorough investigation into the project's approval, design and construction materials is underway.

Thailand speeds up investigation into Bangkok building collapse

Thailand speeds up investigation into Bangkok building collapse

The SAO building, valued at 2.1 billion THB (61.4 million USD), had been under construction for approximately five years and was nearing completion. It was the only building in Bangkok to collapse as a result of the powerful earthquake in Myanmar.

Delegates at the event (Photo: kpl.gov.la)

Laos aims for sustainable infrastructure development

Laos' Enabling Environment Roadmap for Infrastructure Asset Management (IAM EE) outlines strategies for the effective management of public infrastructure, including roads, schools, and hospitals, with a focus on resilience, inclusivity, and sustainability.

Strong earthquake strikes eastern Indonesia (Photo: scienceexchange.caltech.edu)

Strong earthquake strikes eastern Indonesia

A 6.0-magnitude earthquake occurred at 5:15 pm, with its epicenter located 93 km northeast of Indonesia's Maluku Barat Daya district and a hypocenter at a depth of 157 km beneath the seabed. No tsunami warning has been issued.

Rescue forces are racing against time to search for victims of the earthquake that hit Myanmar on March 28, 2025. (Photo: Xinhua/VNA)

Myanmar earthquake: Devastation’s full extend is not clear

Myanmar's state media quoted military government leader Senior General Min Aung Hlaing as saying the earthquake death toll had reached 2,065, with more than 3,900 injured and some 270 missing. Aid agencies forecast these numbers will rise significantly due to information blackouts in remote areas.

File - Passengers pass through the automatic immigration checkpoint (auto gate) at Terminal 3 of Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Tangerang, Banten, Indonesia, January 3, 2024. (Photo: ANTARA)

Indonesia operates auto gates at Soekarno-Hatta International Airport

According to Johanes Fanny Satria Cahya Aprianto, head of the airport's immigration office, immigration services are fully prepared for the surge in passengers. Currently the office has deployed 531 personnel to ensure smooth and efficient immigration processing at the airport.