Searchers carry a victim of landslide triggered by Typhoon Mangkhut in Itogon town, the Philippines (Photo: AFP/VNA)
 
Hanoi (VNA) – The death toll in the Philippines from Typhoon Mangkhut has climbed to 81 and could hit a triple-digit figure as searchers are still looking for missing people, Philippine authorities said on September 19.

Officials of northern mountainous Itogon town said 59 people are still missing. In case those people are found dead, the toll of the super typhoon could top 100.

The search and rescue in Itogon continue on September 19.

The typhoon also battered China’s southern region, killing four people in Guangdong province and forcing millions of people to flee.

In Thailand, authorities of northern Mae Hong Son province said a two-year-old girl was killed during a mudslide triggered by Typhoon Mangkhut. Meanwhile, seven people are missing, including a 3-year-old boy. The incident also injured 11 people, completely destroyed seven houses and damaged six others.

Mangkhut, the strongest typhoon so far this year to hit the Philippines, made landfall in Cagayan province on Luzon Island, north of the Philippines, at 1:40 am (local time) on September 15, sustaining wind speeds of over 200km per hour and causing power blackouts in some areas.-VNA