The riots erupted last month during protests againstChina's illegal placement of an oil rig in Vietnam's waters. During thedisruption, protesters destroyed property belonging to the State,businesses and individuals, including foreign firms, and clashed withlaw enforcement, disrupting social order and business activities.
Headof the association of Taiwanese businesses in Dong Nai province ChiangChih Ming said the recent unrest had affected 131 Taiwanese businessesin the province, with 80 percent slightly affected and 10 percentseriously affected.
However, prompt assistance and support fromlocal authorities had helped businesses recover and resume normalproduction, he said, noting that customs agencies had paid visits toaffected businesses to complete procedures for tax-related support.
All 44 affected businesses in Binh Duong have also resumed normal production.
Morethan 2,100 out of 2,650 foreign experts have returned to their work inindustrial zones in Binh Duong, according to Tran Van Lieu, head of theprovincial management board of industrial zones (IZs) at a pressbriefing on the province's socio-economic development situation on June4.
Lieu also said the board has granted work permitsfree-of-charge to foreign experts. Chairman of the business associationof the Ho Chi Minh City Export Processing Zones and Industrial ParksAuthority (Hepza) Nguyen Van Be said all foreign-directed businesses inthe city had also resumed production.
Soon after interruptedoperations caused by the riots, Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung laid out acomprehensive plan to support affected businesses, including theprovision of sufficient compensation, the reduction of import and exportduty rates and the extension of the tax deadline. This was in additionto tax and budget payments arising before May 2014, the longestextension in two years.
Deputy Head of the Customs Department ofDong Nai province Huynh Thanh Binh said customs officials would continueto work with the affected businesses to guide them through tax-relatedprocedures, particularly those who had their seals, software andrelevant documents destroyed.
Customs officials were also assigned to work over the weekend to facilitate import and export activities, he said.
Meanwhile,Deputy Prime Minister Vu Van Ninh has asked the Ministry of Labour,Invalids and Social Affairs to continue guiding localities to assistworkers who were forced to stop working during the recent unrest.
Workers will receive wages for days off between May 12 and July 1.
Thepayment will be equivalent to the wages agreed between enterprises andlabourers and will not be below the minimum level prescribed by theGovernment. The expense used to pay workers will be deducted fromcorporate income tax obligations.-VNA