ASEAN Secretary General Le Luong Minh has emphasized that 2014 would be a key year in the roadmap to build an ASEAN Community by December 2015.

While noting that ASEAN have been implementing 80 percent of measures in building the Community’s three main pillars of politics-security, economics and culture-society, the Secretary General said whether the bloc can successfully carry out the remaining 20 percent or not depends much on what it can achieve in 2014.

The roadmaps for building an ASEAN Community on three main pillars comprise nearly 800 measures, which must be fulfilled by December 2015.

He also affirmed that Myanmar, which serves as ASEAN Chair this year, will play an important role in the community building process.

According to the Secretary General, ASEAN countries value the theme Myanmar has set for its one-year tenure, which is Moving Forward in Unity to a Peaceful and Prosperous Community. He said it reflects the aspiration of the people of Myanmar and other ASEAN countries, as unity is the prerequisite for the grouping to concentrate on measures to ensure peace and prosperity in the region.

Assessing Myanmar’s preparedness for its ASEAN Chair in 2014, Secretary General Minh said this is the first time the country has assumed the role during its 17-year membership of the association, but it has had more than two years to prepare for the role. He added that Myanmar’s successful organization of the World Economic Forum on East Asia and the 27 th SEA Games last year proves the country has the capacity to fulfil the task.-VNA