Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte (Photo: VNA)

Hanoi (VNA) – The Philippine Government on November 22 announced the cancellation of peace talks with the rebel group New People’s Army (NPA).

In an official statement, Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process Jesus Dureza stated that there will be no peace negotiations with the NPA until further notice.

Dureza said that the decision was ordered by President Rodrigo Duterte, due to recent clashes across the country. The official also thanked the Norwegian government for its support for the peace process.

Speaking with Philippine soldiers on November 21, Duterte declared the decision to end negotiations with the NPA.

Criticising the NPA for recent attacks on Philippine soldiers and police, Duterte also threatened to list the NPA among “terrorist groups” and ordered the arrest dozens of the group’s leaders.

The same day, Philippine army said that two NPA leaders were captured last week in Pagadian city.

In May, the Philippine Government cancelled a negotiation round with the NPA and in July halted all informal discussions with the group due to attacks at security forces.

Established in 1969, the NPA currently has about 3,800 members. The conflict between the Government troops and the NPA has claimed about 30,000 lives over a half century.-VNA