Cambodian government to stock food, help farmers hinh anh 1People in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, wear face masks to prevent the spread of coronavirus (Photo: AFP/VNA)

Phnom Penh (VNA) -
The Cambodian government will ensure food security and sustainability in the Kingdom as it tackles the spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries spokesman Srey Vuthy said on April 15.

He told The Phnom Penh Post that the ministry had been preparing to stock around 130 tonnes of pork per day for the next three months.

“The ministry will provide raisers with animals – particularly poultry which generate a quick return of profit – and feed to further expand their production capacities,” said Vuthy.

At the same time, Cambodia can supply 716,113 tonnes of vegetables per year, accounting for 68 percent of total demand, he said. The remaining 32 percent must be imported from neighbouring countries.

According to the official, the Cambodian government has issued a number of measures to maintain food security during the coronavirus pandemic such as locating potential sites to grow vegetables and ensuring sufficient water sources for production throughout the year.

It will provide farmers, especially poor ones, with the necessary seeds, vegetables, equipment and modern technology and agricultural practices to increase the production of safe vegetables.

Annual local demand for meat in Cambodia is 290,000 tonnes, including 82,000 tonnes of beef, 153,000 tonnes of pork, 54,000 tonnes of poultry and 165 tonnes of other meat.

The Kingdom is able to produce around 239,000 tonnes of meat, or 82 percent of demand./.