Libya announces new ceasefire

The Libyan Government’s army on March 20 announced a new ceasefire while allied forces continued to launch attacks on the northern African country.
The Libyan Government’s army on March 20 announced a new ceasefire whileallied forces continued to launch attacks on the northern Africancountry.

A Libyan military spokesman told a press conference in Tripoli onMarch 20 that all army units across Libya were told to observe theceasefire, which began from 9 p.m (local time) the same day.

Duringa visit to Egypt , UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon expressed hopesthat the Libyan army would keep its word on the new ceasefire asdeclared.

Earlier on March 18, the Libyan administrationannounced a ceasefire immediately after the UN Security Council adoptedresolution 1973 which imposed a no-fly zone in Libya .

Meanwhile,on the night of March 20, allied forces launched a new round of strikesby aircraft and cruise missiles on Tripoli .

Information on the hit targets and casualties from the new air attacks was not available yet.

However,the spokesman for the Libyan government, Moussa Ibrahim, said a missiledestroyed completely an administrative building in a compound includingMuammar Gaddafi's residence in Tripoli .

According to the Libyan TV, at least 64 civilians were killed and 150 wounded in military attacks by the allied forces.

International public continued to voice protests against the allied forces’ military campaign against Libya .

SecretaryGeneral of the Arab League (AL) Amr Moussa criticised the militarycampaign in Libya , saying it has expanded beyond the goal of imposing ano-fly zone and that what the AL wanted is the protection ofcivilians and not bombing civilians.

Cuban Ambassador to BoliviaRafael Dauza condemned the Western military campaign while spokespersonfor the Russian Foreign Ministry Alexander Lukashevich said these airstrikes overstepped the Resolution 1973 mandate and called for immediateend to these attacks.

In the latest move, Qatar decided to send four aircraft to join the military campaign in Libya .
The ambassadors of 28 NATO member countries planned to meet on March 21 to approve an embargo on weapon sales to Libya. /.

See more

Two foreign tourists buy curry puffs at the popular Khun Phu shop in the Talat Noi community in Bangkok on Monday. (Photo: bangkokpost.com)

Thailand revises tourism strategy after earthquake

Minister of Tourism and Sports Sorawong Thienthong said that a tourism risk and crisis management team will be established to support the industry, with representatives from organisations in the tourism supply chain, such as the Ministry of Home Affairs and the Roads Authority.

General Khamtay Siphandone, former President of the Lao People’s Revolutionary Party (LPRP) Central Committee, former President of Laos and senior revolutionary of the LPRP. (Source: VNA)

Former Lao President Khamtay Siphanone passes away

General Khamtay Siphandone, former President of the Lao People’s Revolutionary Party (LPRP) Central Committee, former President of Laos and senior revolutionary of the LPRP, passed away at 10:30am on April 2 at the age of 102.

Rescue teams search for victims after the earthquake in Mandalay, Myanmar, on March 31, 2025. (Photo: Xinhua/VNA)

Myanmar earthquake: Relief efforts face major challenges

The 7.7-magnitude earthquake has caused widespread destruction in central Myanmar, displacing tens of thousands. The situation has been further complicated by ongoing conflicts, particularly in the Sagaing region, making it extremely difficult to deliver aid to affected areas.

At the explosion site (Photo: Facebook/Anwar Ibrahim)

Malaysia investigates gas pipeline explosion

The incident destroyed 78 houses and 10 shop lots, while also damaging 237 other houses and numerous vehicles. An estimated 364 people were affected, including 63 injured.

Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra listens to a briefing by a team of Israeli rescuers who are part of an international contingent working at the collapsed building site in Bangkok. (Photo: Bangkok Post)

Thailand works to restore global trust after Myanmar quake

Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra underscored Thailand's commitment to restoring its image and ensuring public confidence, noting that a thorough investigation into the project's approval, design and construction materials is underway.

Thailand speeds up investigation into Bangkok building collapse

Thailand speeds up investigation into Bangkok building collapse

The SAO building, valued at 2.1 billion THB (61.4 million USD), had been under construction for approximately five years and was nearing completion. It was the only building in Bangkok to collapse as a result of the powerful earthquake in Myanmar.

Delegates at the event (Photo: kpl.gov.la)

Laos aims for sustainable infrastructure development

Laos' Enabling Environment Roadmap for Infrastructure Asset Management (IAM EE) outlines strategies for the effective management of public infrastructure, including roads, schools, and hospitals, with a focus on resilience, inclusivity, and sustainability.

Strong earthquake strikes eastern Indonesia (Photo: scienceexchange.caltech.edu)

Strong earthquake strikes eastern Indonesia

A 6.0-magnitude earthquake occurred at 5:15 pm, with its epicenter located 93 km northeast of Indonesia's Maluku Barat Daya district and a hypocenter at a depth of 157 km beneath the seabed. No tsunami warning has been issued.

Rescue forces are racing against time to search for victims of the earthquake that hit Myanmar on March 28, 2025. (Photo: Xinhua/VNA)

Myanmar earthquake: Devastation’s full extend is not clear

Myanmar's state media quoted military government leader Senior General Min Aung Hlaing as saying the earthquake death toll had reached 2,065, with more than 3,900 injured and some 270 missing. Aid agencies forecast these numbers will rise significantly due to information blackouts in remote areas.

File - Passengers pass through the automatic immigration checkpoint (auto gate) at Terminal 3 of Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Tangerang, Banten, Indonesia, January 3, 2024. (Photo: ANTARA)

Indonesia operates auto gates at Soekarno-Hatta International Airport

According to Johanes Fanny Satria Cahya Aprianto, head of the airport's immigration office, immigration services are fully prepared for the surge in passengers. Currently the office has deployed 531 personnel to ensure smooth and efficient immigration processing at the airport.