Police Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) official inspects the site of a bomb blast in Hua Hin, south of Bangkok, Thailand (Source: Reuters)

Bangkok (VNA) - Thai police on August 22 said at least 20 people were involved in carrying out a series of deadly bombings in the country's south earlier this month.

National police chief Jakthip Chaijinda told press that many of those involved came from Thailand's Muslim-majority southern provinces.

The police have not ruled out any motive for the attacks, Jakthip said, adding that they might be hired.

No group has claimed responsibility for the August 11-12 attacks which took place in seven southern provinces, killing four people and injuring dozens, including foreign tourists.

Police and the government ruled out any link to foreign militants and insisted the perpetrators were home-grown.

A Thai military court issued an arrest warrant last week for a suspect for attempting to bomb a beach on the tourist island of Phuket.

Police on August 19 identified the man as Ahama Lengha from the southern province of Narathiwat.-VNA